Saturday, August 15, 2009

08/14/09 -My life as a working Sommelier

I have in both my Facebook and Twitter account info pages the line: "The real life of a working sommelier," and I've attempted to "keep it real" for both of those sites. I don't often erase my posts, and I've been known to post things after a 5th or 6th bottle of wine. This blog will be a continuation of those two formats, and I hope to offer some tasting notes along the way.

Today at the restaurant was a relatively slow wine day. My first table of the night was a birthday for mom, with daughter and boyfriend attending. Upsold from Stag's Leap Petite into Stag's Leap "Ne Cede Malis" Petite Syrah. Mom ordered lamb, boyfriend had Sturgeon coming. She decided to grab a half bottle of Louis Jadot '06 Pouilly Fuisse for him and his Sturgeon. I turned that into a full bottle of the Joseph Drouhin '07 Pouilly; Last bottle in house always deserves a discount, and we've got the cork handy if you want to take it home, which, in this case, they did.

A wine locker holder came in to my section (several in the restaurant tonight, actually), and asked for a bottle of the 06 Justin Justification out of his locker. Happy to oblige sir! Also happy to recommend that last bottle of '98 Cakebread Cab as a follow up ;)

Pictures of my night in wine, are, as always, available through the recycling folder of my photos over on Facebook.

The restaurant was hopping tonight, lots of business. I didn't get home until pushing midnight, and the two bottle sitting in front of me are a little daunting as I sit down to write my notes:
-a quick note on my notes tonight- I write these unedited notes as I taste.

2006 EFESTE "Ceidleigh" (pronounced Kay-Lee) Syrah- Red Mountain, WA - The bottle was opened yesterday afternoon, corked hard last night at just over 3/4 full. My g/f opened this one up earlier tonight, probably about 10pm, and as I sit here at 1:33AM, there is just over half a bottle left. The ABV is claimed (do I really have to digress into a discussion of what ABV stated vs. ABS actual is?) at 15.2%.
Eye-Beautiful deep garnet in the glass, very light rim variation. Does appear bright, but slightly ... gritty? ... big fat legs last for a long time.
Nose- Huge chocolate raspberry on the nose, TONS of darker cherry notes, some coriander spice. Some heat does show in nose.
Mouth- Wow. This thing is LUSH. Big blueberry notes, bright Rainier cherries, bright black pepper notes, nice tannic structure (even after a day semi-open!). Initial taste is dark, but mid palate is MUCH brighter. Finish brings forth some very pleasing acid, and carries those pepper/coriander (confirming the nose!) notes long after the taste. Oak notes (chocolate) are definitely confirmed.
I don't know the price point on this one (sorry guys!), but I'm really enjoying it no matter what it costs!

2006 Sequel Syrah- Columbia Valley WA- This bottle was also opened yesterday afternoon, and corked hard last night at just over 1/2 full. (Corked hard? Yeah, I'll push the original cork in flush w/ the bottle neck) The bottle is still "sealed" now at 1:42 AM, and the corkscrew's ready. Claimed ABV 14.7%
A note before I pour- Have you heard of Penfold's Grange? Arguably the finest Shiraz ever produced from Australia- made by John Duval. Sequel? Get *it*? Part of the Long Shadows Collection (if you needed more incentive).
Eye- Beautiful dark raspberry in the glass (colour speak) with very little rim variation. Legs up nicely, and they run that same raspberry hue.
Nose- Definitely pick up cherry notes (darker, almost black cherry), but the earth notes are more prominent here. No noticeable "heat," but lots of damp forest floor, humus (not the garbanzo kind), and some Eucalyptus! There are notes of cedar and darker berries as well.
Mouth- Very austere. This is a huge departure from the bruiser we just tasted in the EFESTE. The cherries are extremely bright, the feel is round and soft, the tannins are so smooth it's hard to tell where the taste ended and the finish begins/continues/ends. Some menthol/eucalyptus is confirmed, along with sweet spice and oak. This is a truly gorgeous wine, very feminine for a Syrah, but just beautiful.
Again, I don't know price point (I remember selling this for 90+ in California 2 years ago), but I dig this one fiercely. Sequel? Far better than most for that genre!


OK! it's 2AM, that's what wine I did today. sleep tight, or, as may be more accurate- good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment