Tuesday, August 25, 2009

08/24/09 - My life as a working Sommelier

I always wonder how I'm supposed to start these posts. Most of the time I just plow right in, but some days it doesn't feel right. I mean, this is basically a journal, but there are some people who periodically read it too, so some context might be appropriate, no?
Well, plow right in then- basically how I felt when I walked into the tasting Monday afternoon. I pride myself on punctuality; I'm almost never late, and I'm usually at least 15 minutes early for any appointment I might have. An oddity for me to be late, but bursting in mid-tasting, what poor form! Further made an ass of myself later on during the tasting, divulging cost of a wine in front of a customer. Thhhpppbbbbtttt....
The tasting(s) were nice, some great Pinot Blanc, nice big Paso reds, and a rare treat- a '00 Mendocino Cab- really well cellar-ed and well developed. Classic Mendo notes make me think Alexander Valley/Cab Franc/red leaf lettuce. Great leather and tobacco notes too. Drinking really well right now, but probably won't last another year or two, I hope we hop on it.

Most of my tables were in and out eaters- one course and run sort of folk. I did have a larger party celebrating a birthday (supposedly {supposably?} on the sly). Moved the birthday into some Beaux Freres WV Pinot '06, and some '06 Ridge Santa Cruz Estate Chard. This party was one of those that could easily start a whole new blog post ranting about diners not allowing the restaurant to do it's job for you in creating a dining experience, but I digress here.
The Beaux Freres is always a crowd pleaser, and it did not fail here either. Ridge is one of my favorite wineries, and it's always a pleasure to show off their products, red or white. Both of these wines are products that are leaving our list. I love that I get to play with the prices on these wines, I love offering great deals on wines I love to people who appreciate it. It's a bummer that all these wines I love are leaving the list. It's not that the wines that are staying on the list are wines I'm unhappy with- much to the contrary; Many of the wines that have recently been brought in are wines that I've had a hand in selecting, and are products that I can really stand behind (and do!).

I got home and helped the lady make a wonderful steak salad for dinner. Deeply considered opening up the 05 Chappellet Mountain Cuvee, but I really do want to let that age a bit more. Ended up leaving the vino in the bottle, some days it happens :(

5 comments:

  1. Well someone is reading your blog now, I have a bit of afternoon time to reflect on the industry pre-busy days.. Wed, Thurs., anyway I must say that leaving a wine off the list although Gross Margin wise is probably smart but at the same time this is what makes us on the wholesale end look at backstock while you buyers say you cant afford to buy new inventory... Get it on the list now and push through it like a normal Somm. As for your love of WM pinot I can see the alure but often wonder why do regional rest. always push the regional wines..Josh you know our end of the stick and day in and day out you are pushing the local, a "greener" idea I suppose but in the end you are limiting your customer to a geo region when you could possibly be making a greater profit, and a happier customer by pushing a far off unheard of brand. It also is sounding like you are the only one who is enjoying the outlaying regions such as Anderson Valley, and Paso. Put the juice in the mouth of the credit card holder.... next post will more positive im sure but today is bitter tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "supposably" is one of my favorite "words"! Ranks right up there with one of my favorite expressions: "For all intensive purposes ..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dion- It's not my call what's on the list and not on the list. I don't do the buying for the restaurant, and even changes of the list have to go off to corporate oversight before our buyer gets the OK to make changes.
    As to the Willamette Pinots- most of our clientele falls into two categories- visitors and celebrators. The visitors come from all over the world, and part of the reason they're here is to experience Oregon. I take that into account when I'm selling wine in our restaurant (which is a rather unique venue 30 stories up in the sky), and sell Oregon wine where it's appropriate. The demand for wines outside of our region is minimal, and our selection isn't vast accordingly. Again, *I* am in no way limiting my customers or the profit margin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh: Do you need a fresh place?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda- I thought about that long and hard for a while, but frankly, I don't think that I'd find another "day" job in the industry here in Portland that would be as beneficial as this one is. The PCG might not be super-fine dining, but it is extremely high volume, and we see a lot of business clients from all over the world. The exposure is unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete