Tuesday, August 18, 2009

08/17/09 -My life as a working Sommelier

My work week is not the normal work week; I start my days late, and the weekend is my busy time. Considering this, it's very odd for me to be up and active on a Monday morning- but there I was.
I started my day with a lot of e-mails and various correspondence. Several clients and potential clients- discussing cellar development, industry training, and just plain what's good right now wine talk.
I also have been working on putting together next month's Wine Wednesday in the Pearl event. The date is set for 9/23, and I'm still in discussion with restaurants in the neighborhood to see if we can get some special deals set up for the night. I received several requests for some training/instructional pieces to be included in the next event, and I am happy to comply! Look for part of the event next month to include a training session for industry folk (and for those who simply wish to know more!) on proper opening procedures.
My night at the restaurant was pretty abysmal. Saw some nice wine on the floor, talked a little bit about some Dominus with another server's table (he ended up taking the Chimney Rock Stag's Leap District instead), and for the second time in the last three days, I didn't have any pictures to post to my recycling folder. Bummer. At least I got out early.
I got home to some beautiful fresh home made pesto, courtesy my girlfriend. She sauteed some onions and mushrooms, fried some bacon, tossed it all w/ some Parm and bow-tie pasta. Yum. Definitely needed something more than a Pacifico for this, and although I was enjoying some Vinho Verde with cheese course, I thought that a red would be nice with the pasta.

Cheeses: Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog (goat); Brie de Paris (cow); blue (cow- goldshaft somethin-or-other). Served w/ Fuji apple slices and baguette.

Vinho Verde- Alianca Branco (DOC); 9% ABV, $8.99 Whole Foods- light and refreshing, a little Co2 spritz, granny smith apples, lime essence on the nose, easy.

(I didn't take/make notes on the red last night. From memory:)

06 Ridge Lytton Springs- 80% Zin, 16% Petite Syrah, 4% Carignane; 14.7% ABV (375ml)
Eye- Deep garnet in the glass, virtually nil rim variation. Unctuous, deep. This wine appears to be a bruiser.
Nose- Butterscotch, Werthers' Originals, deep plum, approaching prune. Fruit is under all that earth and cinnamon and cardamon-sweet spice.
Mouth- Far brighter than the nose would've suggested! Cran-fruit, Santa Maria Plum-skin tartness, with rich mouth, lush-all-over-the-tongue smoothness. Tannins were gorgeously integrated and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment