Thursday, August 20, 2009

08/20/09 -My life as a working Sommelier

Tedium rings true in any profession, even one where you deal with different people everyday. I ended last work week in a lull, selling nothing. I started this work week in a better place- the section I was in tonight and will be again tomorrow is almost exclusively for larger parties- groups of 5 to 16.

I didn't by any means "rock it" tonight. I had one table enjoy some wine- sold them into a bottle of Ridge 06 Santa Cruz Estate Chardonnay and a bottle of Illahe 07 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. Part of the table was from Florida, and it's always nice to show off something from Oregon that is new and up-coming. I really dig on Illahe's entry level Pinot- big cherry cheesecake on the nose, soft and easy. The acids are bright, the finish is firm, the price is great.

The Chard brought an interesting point up- one which I have pondered greatly in my life. The taster noted that it was "very oak-y," which is not how I described the wine, having never found it to have tasted in that manner myself. The point is this- what one person tastes is almost never the exact same as what another might taste. And how do I know what you taste is the same even if it's an agreed upon thing like an avocado or a tomato?
People ask me frequently how they can learn more about wine, and my usual answer is to drink as much as possible. I think it's really important to pick up a mag or two on wine also- not for scores or even the opinions of wine writers, but just to have the descriptions there. I think it's great to "train" your mouth to associate what you taste with descriptors that people will understand. Buy a bottle that's been reviewed in your magazine, and taste that wine properly. Then read through what the reviewer wrote, and see if you can align what you taste with what the reviewer says they tasted. Frequently you will not taste the exact same thing as the reviewer, but if you understand what the reviewer means when they say any given flavor, then you'll have a much better ability to buy wines that will please your face!

That was my day in wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment