Saturday, August 22, 2009

08/21/09 -My life as a working Sommelier

I've had the distinct pleasure of waiting on people from all over the world in my career, especially since beginning last year as a waiter at the Portland City Grill. In the last week I've found myself in front of people from all over the U.S., for business trips, family reunions, weddings, etc. I really get a kick out of showing off Oregon Pinots to people, especially people who are interested in learning more.

A wedding rehearsal dinner came in last night, I showed them a new offering from a renowned wine maker- Dukes Family Vnyd "Alyssa" Pinot 2006, Willamette Valley (Gary Andrus, Winemaker). I also showed off the Ribbon Ridge (probably the favorite region amongst my co-workers) in the form of Beaux Freres' Estate Pinot 2006. White? Yes! King Estate's Domain Pinot Gris 2007.

I wish that I could show people what these reds will taste like in 10 or even 15 years, but I'm happy to get the ooh's and ahh's over the youthful examples as well.

Some discussion with the wine buyer at the restaurant. He's instituted a *ton* of changes this year, with *many* more planned. It's a huge and onerous task, and he's done an admirable job of it. I look forward to seeing what's in store for PCG.

The evening ended with beer for me. There's something magical about a cold beer at the end of the day, and my "every-day" sort of beer props go to Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve. Dirt cheap, and by far more palatable than the other stuff in the price range. Keep a six in the fridge, you never know when company'll stop by, and you don't have to be embarrassed of it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment