Monday, August 24, 2009

08/23/09 - My life as a working Sommelier

Lazy Sundays. I sit outside the US Bancorp Tower and read my book just about every day before I go in to work, and Sundays always seem to be the most mellow- the fewest people around. That was exactly the sort of feeling the restaurant held for most of the night. I had one table looking at some Riesling, and I steered them into a Kabinett from Markus Molitor.

There are some days that I'm a little embarrassed to even talk about what I do at the restaurant. I sit here in retrospect, looking at this one tiny little blurb of wine talk, and I think: "am I really going to post this for any-old-body to read? Is this worth the attention of said any-old-body?" The simple answer is yes, and no, in that order. My little daily journal here in dated format really doesn't warrant the reading from many people. This is not a blog that will ever be a hugely followed/read document. My ramblings about what I sold or watched go out in the restaurant in which I am employed (which, by the way, moved some really nice bottles last night- kudos to other servers!) don't serve any *purpose* that I can note.

My co-workers ask me almost every night why I'm taking a picture of some empty wine-bottles, and I just kind of shrug it off. The pictures sure aren't vanity- I mean, why would I post pics of Columbia Crest Merlot (or any other bottle that retails for $8?). Documentary? Well, I suppose some day it might have that sort of purpose. Really though? I like looking at the trends, I like seeing the patterns, the repetitions. It allows me to see my comfort zone, and see how I can stretch that and encompass new things.

This blog has a very similar goal- I can read a little more in depth about my corresponding pictures, and see what the mood was around those bottles (perhaps taking some strain off an already overloaded memory).

So is it worth you reading? Probably not. But- I like to think of myself as witty, and sometimes I think others find me funny too. So maybe for fun you read about my life and maybe I make you laugh sometimes; I don't mind being the butt of the joke for "big sale of the night" winner with the lone bottle of Apex II cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment